Return Elizabeth Graeper Thomas to office as Town Supervisor!
Liz Thomas is glad to continue serving as part of this enthusiastic team of candidates. The source of her energy is driven by her respect of the land and resources of Ulysses. She is resolute about the importance of a transparent and inclusive government and looks for ways to engage with the town’s diverse population.
- TRAILS: Collaborated with other municipalities, NYS Parks, trails organizations, and not-for-profits to highlight trails throughout Tompkins County and promote the completion of the Black Diamond Trail.
- MUNICIPAL COLLABORATION: Encourage and participate in municipal collaborative efforts such as the Tompkins County Animal Control coalition, the Tompkins County Council of Governments, the Trumansburg/Ulysses Youth Commission, the county-wide broadband initiative, and cooperative efforts to address hydrofracking.
- HYDROFRACKING: chaired the Tompkins County Council of Governments Task Force on Gas Drilling; co-organized two local hearings to respond to the NYS DEC on their supplemental generic environmental impact statement (sGEIS), part of a team that reviewed, shared, and submitted comments to the NYS DEC on two versions of the sGEIS and state regulations; worked with other local municipalities to use the powers of zoning to prohibit hydrofracking in Ulysses and throughout Tompkins County; organized a coalition of municipalities to support the towns of Dryden and Middlefield in their legal efforts to preserve home rule; help to organize multiple educational events on various topics relating to hydrofracking.
- ENVIRONMENT: Assist on solar panel contract for Town Hall and Town Barn, working on town-wide energy initiatives; vote to pass stormwater and surface water protection laws in Ulysses; champion support for the Community Science Institute that monitors the health of creeks throughout the village and town; initiate energy audit of Town Hall.
- TECHNICAL – redesigned and populated much of the website, organized internal electronic filing system, upload audio of Town Board meetings, initiated indexing of resolutions passed by the board for ease of search; created electronic calendars.
- COMMUNICATION – main author of town newsletters, initiated town listserv, oversee website content.
- FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE: oversee budget; along with the Town Board, passed budgets under the tax cap; assist in submission of grant proposals to fund programs; rebid contracts to find most cost effective providers of quality services; oversee outside audit of town finances.
- LAND USE: using the Comprehensive Plan as the guide, have worked to officially accept designated Unique Natural Areas throughout the town; currently wrestling with zoning changes that will protect the fragile land areas along Cayuga Lake while balancing the personal liberties of property owners.
- OTHER: update personnel policy; manage Town Hall maintenance;
- On Town board since 2008
- Deputy Town Supervisor – 2011 to 2013
- Town Supervisor – since April 2013
- Lead efforts to ban hydrofracking.
- Initiated outreach efforts: website, newsletter, listserv.
- Chair of the Tompkins County Council of Governments Task Force on Gas Drilling
- Served as liaison to Youth Commission, Agriculture and Farmland Protection Committee, Village Board,
- Past or present member of Tompkins County Council of Governments, Tompkins County Animal Control Coalition, Cable Contract Negotiating Committee, EMS Task Force, Stormwater Committee, Comprehensive Planning Committee.
- Crop consultant for fruit growers for 15 years working to reduce the use of pesticides.
- Project Manager for large scale composting facility at the Cayuga Nature Center.
- Cooperative Extension – Worked as a liaison between 12 northeastern states and the federal government to find safe and sustainable solutions to pest problems.
- Co-author and editor of 12 organic production guides for fruits and vegetables.
- Born in Ithaca New York and raised in both Ithaca and the Town of Ulysses.
- Married to Robert Thomas who co-owned and managed Taughannock Aviation.
- Raised and educated five children in the Trumansburg School District.